1. Using the content on the Ministry of Defense/Self-Defense Forces (MOD/SDF) website
Information made available on this website (hereinafter referred to as the "Content") may be freely used, copied, publicly transmitted, translated or otherwise modified on condition that the user complies with provisions 1) to 6) below. Commercial use of Content is also permitted.
1) Source citation
- a. The user must cite the source when using the Content. Sources should be cited in the following manner:
(Examples of source citation)
- Source: Ministry of Defense website (URL of the relevant page)
- Source: Changes in XX Expenditures (Ministry of Defense) (URL of the relevant page) (accessed on year/month/day)
- b. If you have edited the Content for use, you must include a statement expressing that the Content has been edited, in addition to the abovementioned source citation, but not in any way that making public or using edited information in a format that may be misconstrued as having been created by the Government of Japan (or its ministries and/or agencies).
(Examples of citation when using edited Content)
Created by editing Changes in XX Expenditures (Ministry of Defense) (URL of the relevant page)
Created by Company YY based on Changes in XX Expenditures (Ministry of Defense) (URL of the relevant page)
2) No infringement of third party rights
- a. In some cases, a third party (refers to a party other than the state. Hereinafter referred to as "Third Party") may hold copyrights or other rights to a part of the Content. For the Content where a Third Party holds copyrights or other rights (e.g. portrait rights in a photograph, publicity rights etc.), it is the responsibility of the user to obtain consent for use from the Third Party unless there is explicit indication that the rights have already been cleared.
- b. The user must comply with the terms and conditions of the source provider for the Content obtained through API (Application Programming Interface) links to external databases etc.
- c. Even if a Third Party holds copyrights to the Content, some use of the Content, such as quoting, may be allowed without the consent of the copyright holder, under the Copyright Act of Japan.
- a. Symbol mark, Logo, and Character Design which represent the organization or specific business.
4) Governing law and jurisdiction
- a. The Term of Use shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of Japan.
- a. The state bears absolutely no responsibility for any action taken by the user involving the use of the Content (including use of information based on edited Content).
- b. The Content may be modified, moved or deleted without prior notice.
Individual or corporation may freely provide a link on their websites to the front page of the MOD/SDF website (https://www.mod.go.jp) and to websites of other organizations related to the MOD as well as to each page.
The Ministry of Defense Logo
In commemoration of transition from the Defense Agency to the Ministry of Defense (MOD), the decision was made to create a logo in order for Japanese citizens to gain further understanding of the MOD. From January 16th to March 3rd, 2007, "easily-recognizable and friendly" logo designs were invited from the public and 767 works were applied. Based on one of those works, below was determined to be the logo of the MOD.
The green part represents the MOD, which consists of approx. 260 thousand personnel, and the blue sphere protected by the arms of personnel symbolizes our planet. This logo signifies the MOD, which acts for defense of Japan and peace of international society, and the determination of personnel to actively engage in these missions.
The MOD holds the copyright on the logo and any use without authorization is not allowed.
The Ministry of Defense conducts a variety of public relations activities to give people a better understanding of the current status of the SDF, particularly responding to a change of public awareness and needs.