Terms & Conditions
１．Using the content on the Japan Joint Staff homepage
1） Source citation
a. The user must cite the source when using the Content. Sources should be cited in the following manner:
(Examples of source citation)
Source: The Japan Joint Staff home page (URL of the relevant page)
Source: Changes in XX Expenditures (the Japan Joint Staff) (URL of the relevant page) (accessed on year/month/day)
b. If you have edited the Content for use, you must include a statement expressing that the content has been edited, in addition to the abovementioned source citation, but not in any way that making public or using edited information in a format that may be misconstrued as having been created by the Government of Japan (or its ministries and/or agencies).
(Examples of citation when using edited content)
Created by editing Changes in XX Expenditures (The Japan Joint Staff) (URL of the relevant page)
Created by Company YY based on Changes in XX Expenditures (The Japan Joint Staff) (URL of the relevant page)
2） No infringement of third party rights
- a. In some cases, a third party (refers to a party other than the state. Hereinafter referred to as "Third Party") may hold copyrights or other rights to a part of the Content. For the Content where a Third Party holds copyrights or other rights (e.g. portrait rights in a photograph, publicity rights etc.), it is the responsibility of the user to obtain consent for use from the Third Party unless there is explicit indication that the rights have already been cleared.
- b. If a Third Party holds rights to a part of the Content, said fact may be directly or indirectly stated or indicated through source citations, but in some cases the part of the Content to which the Third Party holds the rights may not be clear or may not be explicitly stated. It is the responsibility of the user to confirm the rights pertaining to use of the Content.
- c. The user must comply with the terms and conditions of the source provider for Content obtained through API (Application Programming Interface) links to external databases etc.
- d. Even if a Third Party holds copyrights to the Content, some use of the Content, such as quoting, may be allowed without the consent of the copyright holder, under the Copyright Act of Japan.
- a. Symbol mark, Logo, and Character Design which represent the organization or specific business.
4） Governing law and jurisdiction
- a. The Term of Use shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of Japan.
- a. The state bears absolutely no responsibility for any action taken by the user involving the use of the Content (including use of information based on edited Content).
- b. The Content may be modified, moved or deleted without prior notice.
Individual or corporation may freely provide a link on their websites to the front page of the Japan Joint Staff Homepage (http://www.mod.go.jp/js/) and to websites of other organizations related to the MOD as well as to each page.
- MOD/SDF Official Cartoon Character, "Prince Pickles" and "Parsley"
"©Tomonaga Taro" holds the copyrights to the image of "Prince Pickles" and "Parsley" as well as a cartoon titled "Prince Pickles, Journey to Peace (provisional translation)."
The image of "Prince Pickles" and "Parsley" may be freely used when it is personally used as wallpaper on user's computer etc.
The image use of "Prince Pickles" and "Parsley" to put it on the Internet, presentation and so forth is limited to those involved in the Ministry of Defense (units, SDF Provincial Cooperation Office, personnel etc.) when they use it for publicity purposes of the MOD/SDF. However, others can use the image as a symbol for a link destination to the websites of the MOD/SDF as well as those of other organizations related to the MOD.
When using the image of "Prince Pickles" and "Parsley," the image cannot be edited except enlarging and reducing in proportionate size.