Japan-Germany Defense Minister’s Telephone Conversation
April 24, 2020
Japan Ministry of Defense
On April 24, 2020, Minister KONO had a telephone conversation with German Federal Minister of Defence, Kramp-Karrenbauer.
- The two ministers exchanged views on issues such as the roles to be played by the defense authorities given the global spread of COVID-19. Minister Kono explained about the activities and infection-preventative measures Japan Self-Defense Forces have undertaken in their operation on the cruise ship Diamond Princess which was completed with no infected member, and analysis by the SDF Central Hospital by using a presentation document (see attached). Minister Kramp-Karrenbauer also explained about the situations and measures such as accepting infected foreign nationals form overseas to Germany.
- Minister Kono also shared with Minister Kramp-Karrenbauer that a German couple who were treated at the SDF Central Hospital after disembarking the cruise ship Diamond Princess kindly sent a letter addressed to the Chief of Staff, Ground Self-Defense Force to convey their appreciation for medical assistance provided by the JSDF. Minister Kramp-Karrenbaueralso expressed her appreciation for the JSDF assistance.
- Further, two ministers exchanged views on defense cooperation between Japan and Germany. Minister Kono, taking into consideration the implications of COVID-19, expressed the importance of both countries’ maintaining seamless defense posture and of continued and strengthened bilateral defense cooperation to uphold and reinforce the Free and Open Indo-Pacific with the support of Germany’s commitment in the region.
- The two ministers agreed on the following three points bearing in mind the circumstances arisen by the spread of COVID-19;
- sharing information, knowledge and lessons learnt about the measures taken by defense authorities towards overcoming COVID-19 at the earliest stage;
- necessity of sharing threat recognition based on the current circumstances and potential effects of the spread of COVID-19 on defense policy of each country; and
- promoting vigorously defense cooperation and exchanges to uphold and reinforce the Free and Open Indo-Pacific while maintaining communication between the defense authorities.